Skip to main content

The Race is not for the swift/Self Esteem


The Race is not for the Swift!! Self-Esteem Included!!
        This is an interpretation of Ecclesiastes 9:11.  The Bible verse means that we have to persevere and go through personal trials and tribulations for Jesus Christ sake.  I say this is simply because it gives me an opportunity to do what I want in Jesus name.  What is the definition of the word opportunity? The answer to this question is a chance for advancement and improvement.  This also means that I have to maintain my faith in God; in spite of any problems that are in my way as far as obstacles are concerned. 
This Bible verse also pertains to everyone.  I know for me personally, I have to maintain myself in terms of dealing with my personal stress that is present in my personal life.  My caretakers, family members, and friends have always motivated me to do anything that in a positive manner.  For Example, when it comes to receiving an education, it is important for me to have a game plan or a plan of action in advance.
Next, I want to say that this Bible verse is not for those who are rich in power or might.  This verse pertains to those who have been oppressed, or those who are low in spirit.  In a way, it reminds me of one of the Bible verses in the Beatitudes in the New Testament.  This Bible verse also gives me a sense of faith and hope in God.  I want to say that I was a person who had a very low self-esteem.  I did not even have any form of confidence in myself.  I became more of a reactive person rather than proactive.
Further, I want to inform everyone that King Solomon had encouraged everyone to have faith in God.  The race is not for the swift reminds of the race between the tortoise and the hare.  The hare did not win the race because he was overconfident.  He ended up taking a break, while the tortoise walked slowly, and he took his time.  Therefore, the tortoise won the race.  This means that we should not give up whatsoever.  God is always there for all of us.


Moreover, I want to say that in the United States, there is a class society.  There is the wealthy, middle class, and the poor.  I know for me personally, I grew up poor.  I am the oldest of my mother’s 9 children.  However, one of my siblings passed away on June 2, 2017.  My sister died from a rare blood disease.  My nieces and nephews lost their mother.  My oldest nephew and I paid for my sister’s funeral.  I have a lot of respect for him.  He made a conscious decision to use of his money to pay for his mother’s funeral.  To all of my family members and friends, I really love all of you.
What Does the Bible say about Self-Esteem?

What does the Bible say about self-esteem?
Self-esteem has to do with how we think about ourselves and how we value ourselves. One definition of self-esteem is a person's overall subjective emotional evaluation of his or her own worth. Therefore, someone with low self-esteem considers themselves to be worth little, whereas someone with high self-esteem considers themselves to have great worth. Much of the world derives their self-esteem from categories such as wealth, appearance, strength, occupation, popularity, celebrity, and relationships. Inevitably, the self-esteem of these individuals rises and falls based on how they are doing in these categories, especially in comparison to others. But what does the Bible say about self-esteem? How are we to determine our worth? What is the true source of our worth?

The terms self-worth and self-esteem do not appear in the pages of Scripture. Self-worth, when understood as worth DERIVED from the self, as opposed to the opinion we have of ourselves, is a bit of a misnomer. In order to have any self-worth (independent from God), we would have to be self-made, which is impossible. In order to create yourself, you would need to exist already. If you existed already, you would not need to create yourself. Not only is self-creation a logical impossibility, we have the testimony of God's word to refute it. We are, in fact, made by God and in the image of God, and this truth is the basis of our worth. We can say with David, "For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well" (Psalm 139:13–14). The fact that we are made in the image of the only eternal, all-knowing, all-powerful, all-wise God could easily become a temptation to pride. This is why we must always remember that our creation, our continued existence and our worth, lies not in ourselves, but in the powerful working of God (Genesis 1:27; Acts 17:28; Hebrews 1:3).

If we are made in the image of God, why do so many people struggle with the issue of their worth? The answer can be summed up in two words—the fall. When Adam and Eve disobeyed God, the image of God in them became shattered and marred. Whereas they once walked naked in the garden without shame; after they sinned, they became ashamed and hid themselves from God. They covered themselves, and mankind has been covering himself ever since. We cover our sense of shame, guilt, and lack of worth with the attire of wealth, beauty, strength, status, and popularity. However, these coverings merely mask our problem, which is that our relationship with God, the source of our worth, has been lost. Scripture speaks of fallen man as separated from God and at war with Him. We who were created in God's image have become rebels against Him. As C.S. Lewis said, "Fallen man is not simply an imperfect creature who needs improvement: he is a rebel who must lay down his arms." Scripture speaks of mankind in our fallen state as sinful and worthless.

Romans 3:10–12 says, "None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one." Romans 3:23 says, "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Romans 6:23tells us that "the wages of sin is death."

So, how do we, who have become enemies of God, worthy of death and damnation, restore our relationship with God, and therefore our worth? The short answer is, we can't and we don't. Fallen, sinful man is incapable of approaching a holy God. For this reason, God, because of His great love for us, sent a mediator, His only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ, to live a perfect life and die for our sins, so that we might be reconciled to Him.

"For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time" (1 Timothy 2:5–6).

By repenting of our sin and believing in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, we are reconciled to God. The worth lost by our sin is regained and surpassed through faith in the righteousness of Christ. As believers in Christ, we have worth because:

1) All humans are made in the image of God and therefore are of value (Genesis 1:26–27; Psalm 139).

2) God loves us and has regenerated us.

Ephesians 2:4–7 tells us, "But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, MADE US ALIVE together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus" (emphasis added).

3) Jesus died for us and has appeased God's wrath toward us.

According to Romans 5:8 "God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

4) God redeemed us from slavery to sin and has empowered us to pursue holiness.

Romans 6:17–18 declares, "But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness."

5) God has transferred us into His glorious kingdom.

We read in Colossians 1:13–14 that "He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins."

6) God is our friend.

Romans 5:10 says, "For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life."

7) We are righteous in God's sight.

Romans 3:23–24 says, "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus."

8) We have been adopted by God.

Ephesians 1:5–6 tells us that God "predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved."

9) We are heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ.

Romans 8:16–17 says, "The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him."

10) We have been uniquely gifted for service in God's kingdom.

We read in Romans 12:3–8: "For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned. For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching; the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness."

The true basis of our worth is not to be found in the things of this world but in our right relationship to God, which is made possible only through faith in Christ, and through the gifts bestowed on us by the Spirit. In Christ and because of Christ, we are of infinite worth to God. Unlike the ever-fluctuating self-esteem of the world, our worth does not and cannot change, for our worth is rooted in the love of Christ.

"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? … No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 8:35, 37–39). 

       Finally, the race is not for the swift because whenever we do things too quickly, we end up making mistakes.  The mistakes that we make by doing something too fast makes us feel frustrated and giving up entirely on the things that we are supposed to do.  The race is for all of us to participate.  The prize at the end of the race is eternal life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is with me right now

Good Morning and God Bless You 🙌 🙏  I want you to know that I still need your prayers 🙏  I know that My God is a God of Love and Peace.  I have given myself Life to Jesus Christ.   I know that I am still under a lot of pressure from someone who wants to replace me as a person.   This person is a Caucasian man, who  does not like African American People.  My neighbors are a well diverse group of people who used to live in the Southern United States.  My neighbors have access to my Social Media Account and my entire life is at great risk.  This is not a laughing matter because identity theft and fraud happens to all of us.  I know that My neighbors do not like me because my skin color is different from them.  This is a person who has been computer hacking me for only a short period of time.  I am asking all of you to please be careful when it comes to using any accounts.   God is with me right now.  Go...

1st Chronicles 16:34

1 st  Chronicles 16:34, and what it means to all People!!  By Anthony Joseph Hopkins July 26, 2021        1 st  Chronicles 16:34 says O give thanks unto the Lord; for he is good: for his mercy endureth forever.  I give thanks unto the Lord on a daily basis.  What is the definition of the word mercy?  Mercy is  compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.  So, to me, mercy is a “love that responds to human need in an unexpected or unmerited way.” At its core, mercy is forgiveness. The Bible speaks of God's love for sinners – that is, for all of us. But the Bible also relates mercy to other qualities beyond love and forgiveness. Mercy is also compassionate or kindly forbearance shown toward an offender, an enemy, or other person in one's power; compassion, pity, or benevolence: Have mercy on the poor sinner. the disposition to be compassionate or forbeari...

IS IT TRUE THAT GOD KNOWS EXACTLY HOW LONG WE ARE GOING TO LIVE?

Is it true that God knows exactly where we are at all times?  By Anthony Joseph Hopkins 11/19/2021        I have a very important question to ask everyone.  Is it true that God knows exactly where we are at all times?  The answer to this question is yes.  God knows exactly where we are at all times.  Where exactly shall I go from His Spirit?  The answer is no where because He is inside of us.  His Spirit bears with our spirit.  Where shall I go from His presence?  The answer is nowhere.  He is with us at all times.  If I ascend into heaven He is there.  If I make my bed into hell, He is there with us.        If you want me to be perfectly honest with all of you, we cannot hide from God.  He is watching all of us.  I want to inform all of you that I am asking this question because I would like for anyone to answer this question.  I know that everything th...